What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and the VA will match the same amount at the institution.
Who is eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program?
Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate of 100 percent, as determined by the service requirements, or their designated transferees may receive Yellow Ribbon benefits from Pacific and the VA. Active-duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program.
The general eligibility requirements for the Yellow Ribbon Program include:
- You served an aggregate period of 36 months in active duty after Sept. 10, 2001.
- You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001.
- You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® based on the service eligibility criteria listed above.
We encourage all veterans to review the eligibility criteria directly from the Yellow Ribbon Program page on the VA’s website.
What are McGeorge’s Yellow Ribbon benefits?
Only McGeorge students are eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program at McGeorge.
- This award will be offered to a maximum of 60 eligible McGeorge veterans
- They will receive up to 100% of the unmet established charges (tuition & student fees) per academic year
- The actual amount will vary based on number of units taken and charged for each semester. Under the Yellow Ribbon Program the Department of Veterans Affairs will then match McGeorge’s contributions made to the eligible veterans each academic year that the University participates in the program.
How will McGeorge select Yellow Ribbon Program benefit recipients?
Students will be selected for the Yellow Ribbon Program award based on a first-come, first-served basis, determined by the date and time your application is received by the VA Representative (Registrar’s Office). Once the maximum awards available (60) have been offered, no additional Yellow Ribbon Program awards will be offered by McGeorge.
How Do I Apply for Yellow Ribbon Benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?
The Department of Veterans Affairs is now processing applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Interested students should complete and submit the application form online at benefits.va.gov/gibill/.
To complete an application on-line, you will need McGeorge’s VA Code number: 3-1-8912-05.
You will receive written notification explaining the VA's decision regarding your eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and the Yellow Ribbon program. If you are eligible, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that specifies you are "potentially eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program." The final funding decision, however, will be made by Pacific.
For questions regarding COE, contact the veteran's administration at 1.888.GIBILL1 (1.888.442.4551) to speak with an Education Case Manager.
Once you receive your COE and are deemed potentially eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program, complete Pacific's Yellow Ribbon Application and submit your COE along with your application to Pacific's Office of the Registrar. Upon receipt of your COE, the Office of the Registrar will verify your eligibility to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
How will I know if I have received the Yellow Ribbon Program benefit from McGeorge?
If you receive a Yellow Ribbon award, it will be coordinated into your financial aid award in accordance with all federal, state and institutional rules and regulations. You will be notified of the award by e-mail, from Pacific’s certifying official.
How is this benefit applied to my student account?
The McGeorge portion of your Yellow Ribbon award will credit to your account once you meet all enrollment and disbursement requirements.
The VA match of your Yellow Ribbon award will be issued directly to the law school on your behalf after your enrollment certification is processed by the VA.
Will my Yellow Ribbon Award be renewed?
McGeorge will offer you a Yellow Ribbon Program award as long as the following apply:
- McGeorge continues to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program (The University of the Pacific's participation in the Yellow Ribbon program is voluntary. McGeorge may choose to change the contribution amount offered in future years or may choose not to participate in the program altogether.)
- You remain in good academic standing as defined in the McGeorge Academic Catalog and Student Handbook
- You have not been disciplined under the McGeorge Code of Student Responsibility
- You have remaining entitlement as defined by the VA
For Additional Information
Visit benefits.va.gov/gibill/ for additional information on the Yellow Ribbon Program or other benefits. "GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)."
Contact the Registrar’s Office
Email | 916.739.7106