The 2020 California Initiative Forum took place on Oct. 21 at 5:30 p.m.
At every statewide election in California, voters make choices about candidates and ballot propositions. Statewide ballot measures, including initiatives and referendums, are a vital form of direct democracy and allow voters to have a voice in the laws that will govern them.
In an effort to aid voters in exercising their choice, students in the California Initiative Seminar course at McGeorge study and analyze all statewide ballot measures for each California election. Their objective analyses are published here as the California Initiative Review (CIR).
The California Initiative Review (CIR) is a non-partisan, objective Web publication which provides comprehensive, independent analyses of California Ballot initiatives and related issues. The review is produced each year by the Capital Center for Law & Policy and presented at McGeorge’s California Initiative Forum.
Analysis of 2020 Ballot Initiatives
- 2020 California Initiative Review — Initiatives At A Glance (pdf)
- Propositioned podcast by Kris Ankarlo, feat. analysis from California Initiative Seminar students
- 2020 California Initiative Review (pdf)
- Proposition 14 — The California Stem Cell Research, Treatments, And Cures Initiative Of 2020 (pdf)
- Proposition 15 — The California Schools and Local Communities Act of 2020 (pdf)
- Proposition 16 — Allowing Affirmative Action in Public Contracting, Employment, and Education (pdf)
- Proposition 17 — Voting Rights Restoration for Persons on Parole (2020) (pdf)
- Proposition 18 — Primary Voting For 17-Year-Olds Amendment, Allows 17-Year-Olds to Vote in Primary Elections (pdf)
- Proposition 19 — The Home Protection for Seniors, Severely Disabled, Families, and Victims of Wildfire and Natural Disasters Act (pdf)
- Proposition 20 — Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018 (pdf)
- Proposition 21 — Rental Affordability Act (pdf)
- Proposition 22 — Protect App-Based Drivers and Services Act (pdf)
- Proposition 23 — Protect the Lives of Dialysis Patients Act (2020) (pdf)
- Proposition 24 — Protecting California Consumers by Expanding Protections, Ensuring Governmental Oversight, and Safeguarding the Law from Special Interests (pdf)
- Proposition 25 — Replace Cash Bail with Risk Assessment Referendum (pdf)