McGeorge has long been a leader in teaching practical lawyering skills hailing back to 1974 when our first clinics opened. Our students learn to apply legal theory to practice, develop professional lawyering skills, and become lifelong learners.
- The 6th law school in the nation, and the 1st in the West, to require and therefore guarantee that each student complete two authentic, law practice experiences (clinics or externships)
- The only law school in California to require 11 credit hours of experiential learning
- One of the few law schools in the country to guarantee every student a judge or practitioner mentor via our innovative Experiential Mentor Program
- The only law school in California to provide four semesters of classes focusing on the skills lawyers agree are most critical to success in practice: legal research, writing, analysis, and advocacy
Victims of Crime Resource Center
Since 1984, McGeorge has hosted the state-funded California Victims of Crime Resource Center, which provides crime victims with legal support and aid. McGeorge students assist crime victims by providing information about compensation, restitution, the roles and rights of victims of crime in the criminal justice system, and they make referrals to local assistance providers and advocacy groups.
"I worked closely with my supervising attorney and learned so much. The Immigration Law Clinic gave me the confidence that I needed in order to advocate for my clients effectively." — Mariam Aboudamous '15, City of American Canyon, Council Member
"Being able to participate as an intern at California Farm Bureau Federation, as an intern for a water law firm in Stockton and an extern for Justice Ronald B. Robie, a former State Water Resources Control Board member, at the Third District Court of Appeal, as well as being a part of mock trial teams and getting those real-world experiences ... made a huge difference." — Lauren Layne '10, Partner, Baker, Manock & Jensen PC (Fresno, CA)
"My experience as editor of the McGeorge Law Journal was crucial in helping me learn to communicate clearly and with a purpose." — Norman Allen '94, Senior Vice President & Partner, Woodruff-Sawyer & Co.
"Because of McGeorge's trial advocacy program, I got my first two jobs and have a network of terrific lawyers who are also lifelong friends." — Jacob Flesher '00, Shareholder, Flesher Schaff & Schroeder, Inc.
"The externship program offered by McGeorge was a highlight of my time in law school. I worked under Steve Koyasako, Assistant General Counsel at the California EPA." — Gustavo Matheus '96, Partner at Anderson & Quinn, LLC Rockville, MD
"McGeorge provided me with a variety of professional tools that have served me well throughout my career. Those tools included numerous opportunities to gain courtroom experience through my externship at the Yolo County District Attorney's Office and through my participation in the mock trial competition team. My participation at the Pacific Law Review also helped me hone my legal writing skills which has served me well during my career." — Judge Kevin Rosenberg '94, Superior Court of Los Angeles County
- Experiential Curriculum Requirement
- Legal Clinics
- Competition Teams / Mock Trial / Moot Court
Email | 916.739.7105